Diagnosing socket "Connection reset by peer"

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed May 22 15:55:39 EDT 2013

On 2013-05-22, Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-22, Dave Angel wrote:
>> On 05/22/2013 04:46 AM, loial wrote:
>>>    <SNIP>
>>>
>>> .... Is there any additional traceing I can do(either within my
>>> python code or on the network) to establish what is causing this
>>> error?
>>
>> Try using Wireshark.  It can do a remarkable job of filtering,
>> capturing, and analyzing packets.  It can also read and write pcap
>> files, which you could either save for later analysis, or send to
>> someone who might help.
>
> Or use tcpdump, which has a text interface so you can show the problem
> in a text medium like Usenet.

There's also tshark, which is sort of a command-line version of
wireshark.

http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/tshark.html

>> (Note - unfiltered pcap files can be very large on a busy network,
>> but if you can quiet other traffic, you may not need to filter at
>> all.)
>
> Or simply filter.  It's not hard -- the capture filter "host
> my-printer-hostname-or-address" is enough.

Indeed.  Even a simple filter can make life several orders of
magnitude easier.  If filtering by IP address isn't enough, the next
step is usually to add a port number filter...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Of course, you
                                  at               UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS