Myth Busters: % "this old style of formatting will eventually be removed from the language"

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 22 15:40:22 EDT 2013

On 5/22/2013 10:24 AM, Denis McMahon wrote:

> Indeed, removing %-formatting could break a substantial amount of live
> code, with potentially significant maintenance effort in the user

While I would like to see % formatting go away everntually*, other
developers would not. In any case, I agree that it should not disappear
until there is a foolproof conversion tool, probably custom written. I
am working on other things.

* perhaps in 10 years?, when all 2.x code that is going to be converted
has been converted