Myth Busters: % "this old style of formatting will eventually be removed from the language"

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed May 22 06:35:42 EDT 2013

>> Is this tutorial outdated or this still an issue?
>>
>> [1]
>> http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/inputoutput.html#old-string-formatting
>

> That tutorial is out of date.  %-formatting isn't being removed.

OTOH, PEP 3101 also mentions deprecation, at the very end: "... both
systems can co-exist until it comes time to deprecate the older
system."

I have been operating under the assumption since the days of that PEP
that %-style formatting would eventually disappear, dreading the day
when I'd have to learn the str.format language.  I apologize for
(inadvertently) spreading FUD.

It does seem like the documentation should be updated in a few places.
 If the decision has been made to not remove the older system, it
might be worthwhile to mention that somewhere.  Clearly the tutorial
and PEP 3101 should be updated.

Skip