PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator

nn pruebauno at latinmail.com
Wed May 22 16:26:23 EDT 2013

On May 22, 2:30 pm, Ned Batchelder <n... at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

> > On Wed, 22 May 2013 05:45:12 -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>
> >> I didn't mean to create a tempest in a teapot.  I was away from
> >> comp.lang.python, python-bugs, and python-dev for a few years.  In
> >> particular, I didn't ever see the aforementioned thread from Feb 2012.
> >>   Had I known of that thread I would have worded the sentence which
> >> shall not be repeated differently.
>
> >> My apologies...
> > No problem, it's not about you specifically, it's just that some of us
> > fans of % formatting can be a tad sensitive about it, especially since
> > the idea that it has been deprecated (or soon will be deprecated, or one
> > day will be deprecated, and therefore code using it is bad) is relatively
> > widespread on the Internet.
>
> Seems like maybe this should become a question in the Python FAQ.
>
> --Ned.
>

> > Glad to have you back here!

Maybe a cformat(formatstring, variables)  function should be created
in the string module so people who prefer that can use it. I don't
mind the C formatting syntax but I don't like the fact that the %
operator does something totally different when the first variable is
an integer and the fact that it misbehaves if the second variable is a
tuple.