PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator

Carlos Nepomuceno carlosnepomuceno at outlook.com
Tue May 21 16:02:10 EDT 2013

> To: python-list at python.org
> From: breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
> Subject: Re: PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator
> Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 20:26:41 +0100
>
> On 21/05/2013 20:13, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>>> Thank you, but let me rephrase it. I'm already using str.format() but I'd like to use '%' (BINARY_MODULO) operator instead.
>>
>> That's unlikely to change. If not deprecated already string
>> interpolation using the modulo operator has lost favor to the string
>> object's format method.

I used to think str.__mod__() was going to be deprecated until Steven told me it was a myth! Think I got that idea from the own Python docs, but it's gone by now. Nevermind...

The fact is I have no need for str.format(). It's slow and awkward. str.format() looks like COBOL/Java idiom to me. I love Python! '%' is much more cool!!!