PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Tue May 21 15:06:11 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Carlos Nepomuceno
<carlosnepomuceno at outlook.com> wrote:
> Thank you, but let me rephrase it. I'm already using str.format() but I'd like to use '%' (BINARY_MODULO) operator instead.

There is no real reason to do this.  `str.format()` is the new shiny
thing you should be using all the time.  Also, '%' is BINARY_MODULO
(where did you even get that name from?) if and only if you have two
numbers, and it performs the modulo division (eg. 27 % 5 = 2)

> So, the question is: Where would I change the CPython 2.7.5 source code to enable '%' (BINARY_MODULO) to format using the thousands separator like str.format() does, such as:

> 1,234,567

This will make your code unportable and useless, depending on one
patch you made.  Please don’t do that.  Instead,

> Number = 12,345
>
> 'x' is unsigned integer so it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

In Python?  Tough luck, every int is signed.  And it isn’t just a
sledgehammer, it’s something worse.  Just do that:

>>> sys.stdout.write('Number = {:,.0f}\n'.format(x))

Much more peaceful.

You can also do a print, like everyone sane would.  Where did you
learn Python from?  “Python Worst Practice for Dummies”?

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post