How to run a python script twice randomly in a day?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 21 03:56:27 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> Ok, good. Some minor remarks:
>
> Personally, I always use:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>
> instead of requiring bash. All UNIX systems have sh, bash is only
> common. And even when present, it may not be in /bin. /bin/sh is
> always there, and unless you're doing something quite unusual, it
> works just fine.

Also, on many systems, /bin/sh is a much lighter interpreter than bash
(eg Debian uses dash). It's more efficient to use that when you can,
even if you use bash for your login shell.

> On 20May2013 15:05, Avnesh Shakya <avnesh.nitk at gmail.com> wrote:
> | but when I m using like
> |
> | import random
> | a = random.randrange(0, 59)
> | */a * * * * bash /home/avin/cronJob/test.sh
> | then it's showing error becose of varable 'a', so now how can i take
> | variable?

You put that into your crontab? I do not think this means what you
think it means; cron does not execute arbitrary Python code.

> - randrange() is like other python ranges: it does not include the end value.
>   So your call picks a number from 0..58, not 0..59.
>   Say randrange(0,60). Think "start, length".

Nitpick: It's not start, length; it's start, stop-before. If the start
is 10 and the second argument is 20, you'll get numbers from 10 to 19.
But your conclusion is still accurate :)

ChrisA
(two Princess Bride references in as many threads, doing well!)