Future standard GUI library

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 27 18:21:25 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/27/2013 09:31 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>>> HTTP handles that just fine, with your choice of XML,
>>
>> And XML is definitely not suitable as a marshalling format for a RPC
>> protocol.
>>
>> XML-over-HTTP is a true cerebral flatulance of some hopelessly clueless
>> moron.
>
> Hmm.  Well I think there are a lot of very smart developers that are
> using xml to marshal rpc and it's working fine.  So either they know
> something you don't, or maybe they are just busy making code that
> functions and functions pretty well, instead of making inflammatory
> statements on USENET.  Sure XML is not very efficient or compact, but it
> does handle unicode intrinsically through standard encodings, and a
> plethora of parsers makes it a decent choice.

I'll use XML when I have to, but if I'm inventing my own protocol,
nope. There are just too many quirks with it. How do you represent an
empty string named Foo?

<Foo></Foo>

or equivalently

<Foo/>

How do you represent an empty list named Foo? The same way. How do you
represent an empty dict/mapping named Foo? Lemme look up my
documentation... ah, the same way. Does this seem right to
you?</JubalEarly>

ChrisA