[Off topic] Software epigrams

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Wed May 15 14:27:39 EDT 2013

On 2013-05-15, F?bio Santos <fabiosantosart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is a tautology is disguise. When you use a low level
>> language, low level details are relevant to the scope of your
>> program.
>
> I don't see it that way. I think relevance and level are two
> unrelated concepts.
>
> For example, in python you are handling irrelevant things if
> you are trying to start a program and redirecting its standard
> output into another program's standard input instead of just
> using the shell and a pipe to do it.
>
> And in C you are just at the right level to write something for
> a microchip, but then again you are doing a load of irrelevant
> stuff if you need to work numbers larger than the maximum
> permitted.

If you need numbers larger than the maximum permitted then all
the code you write to handle them is relevant.

If I want to bake bread I hope I don't have to till a garden,
plant the wheat, harvest the wheat, and grind the wheat. But
gardening is relevant to bread baking weather or not I do it.

--
Neil Cerutti