[Off topic] Software epigrams

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 13 13:47:28 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> My, it's been a long time since I've seen these:
>
> http://pu.inf.uni-tuebingen.de/users/klaeren/epigrams.html
>
> They pre-date the Zen of Python by at least a decade, and quite frankly I
> think many of them miss the mark. But whether you agree or disagree with
> them, they're worth reading.

8. A programming language is low level when its programs require
attention to the irrelevant.

So much a matter of debate. Indentation is irrelevant, why should
Python programs pay attention to it? Block delimiters are irrelevant
too, the interpreter should be able to figure them out from the code
layout. But this one is absolutely right:

16. Every program has (at least) two purposes: the one for which it
was written and another for which it wasn't.

48. The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in
Wonderland"; but that's because it's the best book on anything for the
layman.

LGTM.

ChrisA