Differences of "!=" operator behavior in python3 and python2 [ bug? ]

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Mon May 13 17:17:41 EDT 2013

On Mon, 13 May 2013 19:28:29 +0100, Fábio Santos wrote:

> I think it is more readable. When doing more complicated statements I
> use != instead, but when it's a single test I prefer not … ==
>
> It's a personal thing. It may also have to do with the fact that I
> didn't know python had != when I was a novice.
> On 13 May 2013 19:08, "Ned Batchelder" <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

I would then still write it as not (x == y) to make it clear to myself &
avoid any possible confusion although I think that X != Y is much
cleaner.
2 lines from the zen stand out here:-

Explicit is better than implicit.
in the face of ambiguity refuse the temptation to guess.

there are many features of Python (& other languages) i did not now when
I started but have adopted once I understood what they were & how they
worked. then again use what you are most comfortable with.

Practicality beats purity