Fwd: Python for philosophers

Citizen Kant citizenkant at gmail.com
Tue May 14 06:36:14 EDT 2013

Case study (kind of)

Imagine that I use to explore with my mind a particular topic and I want to
map and model the mechanics of that exploration. That's mostly
metaphysical. I have a partner called Python with whom I must communicate
in Python. Which would be the basics that I must "know" in order to pass my
ideas to him properly. With this I mean using the units of my natural
language skills that match with his language, and using them in Python's
language context, in order to "program" at the highest level possible. It's
true that my program won't run yet but for me this is not an obstacle at
all, as when one writes a book one can start writing an index. For some
people, this index or highest level programming could look mostly like a
void thing coz lacks of the proper meat that a Python use to eat, and in a
sense they are right. But that's not the point. The point is that as soon
as I can I would start to dig deeper in that structure and build the proper
meat that my highest level labels are just naming. What if using my ability
to name what I actually think and recognize the path of whichever method I
call from my object of thinking, I'd like to start setting a context for
further immersion (inmersion with advanced mathematical notation an that?
Somebody commented about a couple of basic elements which I'm familiarized
with, like +, -, /, =, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0, (), etc. I know that Python has
a set of keywords, there's also a proper way in which one must express
wholes in Python, proper way which I'm not familiarized with but I'm able
to learn. Does this help?

For me, starting with Python is an affair of connecting with it. It's not
about including it in me or including me in it, but a kind of symbiotic
relationship. Unless for me, using my natural language as far as I can, but
constrained (formalized) by Python syntax in order to model using objects
and methods and classes that are still unable to run in Python (yet) seems
to be a good starting point for a symbiotic relationship. Understanding
might depend in our ability to set ourselves in the shoes of another.

Any clues? Since this is a real goal that I'm looking to accomplish, any
question that would clarify a bit more my states will be highly appreciated.