Python for philosophers

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat May 11 21:26:02 EDT 2013

Citizen Kant wrote:
> I roughly came to the idea that Python could be
> considered as an *economic mirror for data*, one that mainly *mirrors*
> the data the programmer types on its black surface, not exactly as the
> programmer originally typed it, but expressed in the most economic way
> possible.

At best, this would be true only for a very small
subset of things that you can enter into the
interactive interpreter.

Even confining yourself to arithmetic expressions,
there are problems. Consider:

 >>> 12**34
4922235242952026704037113243122008064L

The input is 6 characters long, and the output
is 37 characters long. Is that more "economical"?

--
Greg