Python for philosophers

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun May 12 10:32:07 EDT 2013

On Sun, 12 May 2013 04:15:30 -0400, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:

> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> On Sat, 11 May 2013 21:45:12 -0700, rusi wrote:
>>
>>> I have on occasion expressed that newcomers to this list should be
>>> treated with more gentleness than others. And since my own joking may
>>> be taken amiss, let me hasten to add (to the OP -- Citizen Kant)
>>
>> A noble aim, but I have a feeling that "Citizen Kant" is version 2.0 of
>> 88888 Dihedral.
>>
>> Of course, I could be wrong.
>
> Without benefit of the doubt, kindness is impossible.

That is a logical non sequitor. One can choose to be kind to someone even
if you have no doubt that they do not deserve it.

Besides, kindness is hard to define. Is it kinder to give somebody what
they want, or what they need?

> I would suggest giving newcomers at least that much.

I'm happy to say that, based on Citizen Kant's second post, I'm now
reasonably confident that (s)he is not a bot. No mere artificial
intelligence could have written that second post.

--
Steven