dist-packages or site-packages in Python 3.2 ?

Vincent Vande Vyvre vincent.vandevyvre at swing.be
Tue May 7 13:03:00 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've one machine with python3.2 (on Ubuntu 12.04), in the folder
/usr/lib/python3.2 it is a subfolder dist-packages, maybe created at the
install or created when I've installed the binding pyexiv2, I don't know.

Now, I've installed a new machine, again with Ubuntu 12.04 and therefore
python3.2.
This new install hasn't any *-packages subfolder in /usr/lib/python3.2

Today I install PyQt5, the make and make install are executed without
error but when I try:

 >>> from PyQt5 import QtGui
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named PyQt5

I go to check in /usr/lib/python3.2 and I see the install of PyQt5 has
created a subfolder site-packages.
Is this naming dist-packages/site-packages critical for Python? (My
intuition is yes!)

So, I've tried with:
 >>> sys.path.append('/usr/lib/python3.2/site_packages')
and, also, created a file __init__.py in /site-packages but that's not
solved the problem.

Thanks for your advices.
--
Vincent V.V.