(Learner-here) Lists + Functions = headache

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 5 21:30:25 EDT 2013

On 5/5/2013 8:59 PM, Bradley Wright wrote:
> Hey guys and gals doing this tutorial(codecademy) and needed a bit help from the experienced.
>
> I'm writing a function that takes a list(one they supply during runtime)
> here's what my function is supposed to do

Do they supply an example so you can test both your comprehension and
code? I think most specs given in natural language need such.

> 1. for each instance of the string "fizz" make a count
> 2. Finally return that count

Did you create an example problem to test your code? If not, do so.
Did you run your function with example data? If not, do so.

> here's my code:
>
> def fizz_cout(x):
>      count = 0
>      for item in x:
>          while item == "fizz":
>              count += 1
>              return count

Here is  hint as to some of what needs to be improved: this function
will return either 1 or None. You should have discovered that by testings.

--
Terry Jan Reedy