Why do Perl programmers make more money than Python programmers

Jens Thoms Toerring jt at toerring.de
Sun May 5 16:37:19 EDT 2013

In comp.lang.python Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 05 May 2013 12:11:11 -0500, Ignoramus16992 wrote:

> > According to CIO.com, Python programmers make only $83,000 per year,
> > while Perl programmers make $93,000 per year.
> >
> > http://www.cio.com/slideshow/detail/97819?source=ifwartcio#slide10
> > http://www.cio.com/slideshow/detail/97819?source=ifwartcio#slide11
> >
> > I would like to know, what explains the discrepancy.

> Perl is much harder to use, so the average Perl programmer burns out
> after a few years and takes up a less stressful career, like going
> undercover in the Russian mob or the Taliban. So only the most dedicated,
> brilliant and extreme programmers last long enough to become a Perl
> expert, and consequently can demand higher pay, while any idiot can learn
> to program Python, as I have.

> Also, Perl programmers are an unprincipled, devious bunch, always looking
> for an opportunity to blackmail their employers into paying them extra.
> Python programmers are a decent, law-abiding people with a strong moral
> code who would never stoop to the sort of things that Perl coders are
> proud of doing.

Now you got me badly worried, using both Perl and Python (and
other, unspeakable languages, but not VB I promise!) Will I
end up as a Python hacker for the mob or worse - or is there
a chance of redemption (perhaps after a few years in Guanta-
namo bay)? And should I, while it lasts, get the Perl or the
Python salary, or the mean or both combined? Got to consider
that when applying for my next job!

                             Regards, Jens
  \   Jens Thoms Toerring  ___      jt at toerring.de