Python not starting

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun May 5 10:16:48 EDT 2013

In article <c7c26e78-b786-4205-9ffa-5eb29006479c at googlegroups.com>,
 DRJ Reddy <rama29065 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even from command prompt i can't start python.The error is coming up.Python
> in Windows7 box.

I don't know Windows, but my guess is still that it's finding some other
file called stat.py before it's finding the system library one.  Try
doing a file system search for all files named "stat.py" and see what
you find.  On unix, I would do "find / -name stat.py".  I assume there's
something similar on Windows.

The other thing I would try is tracing the python process as it starts
up.  On unix, I would do something like "strace -e trace=file python"
and see if it's finding a stat.py in some unexpected place.  Again, I
can only assume there's something similar on Windows.

Oh, and please don't post with Google Groups.  It double-spaces
everything and makes your message really difficult to read.