socket programming

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:05:43 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Pedro <pedro at ncf.ca> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I'm sending short strings as commands to my server machine so the socket module seems to be doing the trick reliably. I'll try to add Twisted to my arsenal though.
> Cheers

I've never used Twisted, so I can't say how good it is. All I know is
that what I learned about socket programming in C on OS/2 is still
valid on Windows and on Linux, and in every language I've ever used
(bar JavaScript and ActionScript, which are deliberately sandboxed and
thus don't have direct socket calls available). So take your pick: Go
with Twisted, and bind yourself to a particular library, or go with
BSD sockets, and do the work yourself. Like everything else in
programming, it's a tradeoff.

ChrisA