Red Black Tree implementation?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat May 11 19:24:42 EDT 2013

I'm afraid I'm having some trouble with the module.  I've checked it into
my SVN at http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/red-black-tree-mod/trunk/duncan

I have two versions of your tests in there now - "t" is minimally changed,
and test-red_black_tree_mod is pretty restructured to facilitate adding
more tests later.  I get the same problem with either version of the tests.

The problem I'm seeing is that the tree, when built from items, isn't
looking quite right.  I inserted a print(tree) into the for loop, and I'm
getting the following, where I expected the tree to grow by one element on
each iteration:

$ python t
6 False None None
6 False 3 None
6 False 3 15
6 False 3 15
6 False 3 11
6 False 3 11
6 False 3 11
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15
11 False 6 15

Thoughts?

BTW, printing an empty tree seems to say "sentinel".  'not sure if that was
intended.

Thanks!