to a human - about 2to3

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 1 14:59:06 EDT 2013

On 5/1/2013 10:52 AM, Jennifer Butler wrote:

> I will start teaching Python to my pupils shortly. I have been looking
> for materials and have gathered a collection of programs. The problem is
> they are written in v2 and I have v3 installed in my classroom. I read
> about the 2to3 conversion program, but I can’t get it to work.

You might find this page
http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/edu-sig/
and the education list itself. I am sure many programs useful in
education have already been ported.

Many simple programs, of the sort used in beginner classes need minimal
change. Oftem 'print x' to 'print(x)' is all that is needed. 2to3 will
do that for you, once you learn how to use it, but I have not.  For the
programs people post on the list, with just 1 or 2 prints, I make the
change manually in the Idle editor before running. I often want to
change other things as well, so no big deal.