in need of some help...

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sun May 12 11:59:54 EDT 2013

(slightly offtopic, sorry.)

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Jens Thoms Toerring <jt at toerring.de> wrote:
> PS: If I may ask you a favor: consider refraining from using Google's
>     completely broken interface to newsgroups - your post consists
>     of nearly 200 lines of text containing all I wrote, with an empty
>     line inserted between each of them, and a single line of text
>     you wrote. It's rather annoying to have to sieve through that
>     much of unrelated stuff just to find thar one line that's re-
>     levant.

Gmail automatically hides long quotes.  This is helpful in situations
like this one.  More mail software should implement that
functionality.  Seriously: once you go Gmail, you never go back.

>             And this Google groups crap seems to make it nearly
>     impossible to do it any other way. If you don't believe me see
>     e.g.
>
>       http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython
>
>     There are much better alternatives to "Google groups",
>     using a real usenet news server and a program that does
>     not mess up content of news group postings. They've been
>     developed with 30 years of experience with newsgroups.

Or something even better: a mailing list.
find it.  Much friendlier than Usenet, and the software itself is
developed by the FLUFL.

>     If I'd be conspiracy theorist I would conclude that Google
>     is up to something bad in trying to make using newsgroups
>     nearly impossible by their badly broken stuff (and, to add
>     credibility to such a claim, their complete disregard for
>     all the criticism they got over the years, actually making
>     each version of Google groups even worse), but it's rather
>     likely just another case of pure incompetence (or a "why
>     should we care" attitude:-(

They shouldn’t care because Usenet users often yell “Get off my
lawn!”.  Young people don’t use newsgroups.  They don’t even know what
Usenet is.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post