pycache directories

jorvis at gmail.com jorvis at gmail.com
Fri May 3 14:54:26 EDT 2013

I agree, this would be a good feature.  I redirect my emacs backups to a single directory too so that they're not distributed all over the file system.  While I don't know how to do that with the things python creates, I've read a few ways you can disable their creation altogether (assuming you don't care or need the benefit of their use):

You can run python with -B or set the environmental variable PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=1

For fun, lots of developer discussion about its original creation here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/dev/815510