How to find bad row with db api executemany()?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 23:14:38 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.3980.1364611804.2939.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Especially facepalm because there's some way to do this that's faster
>> than straight INSERT statements, and it's not clearly documented as
>> "hey, guys, if you want to dump loads of data in, use COPY instead"
>> (it might be that, I don't know, but usually COPY isn't directly
>> transliterable with INSERT).
>
> We're actually using REPLACE INTO.  For the initial data load, we could
> just as well do INSERT, but we need the REPLACE functionality as we roll
> in the daily incremental updates.
>
> This also explains why, even after provisioning our RDS instance for
> 2000 IOPS (that's AWS-speak for "we paid extra to get more disk
> bandwidth"), we didn't see any performance improvement!

Hmm. I heard around the forums that Amazon weren't that great at disk
bandwidth anyway, and that provisioning IO was often a waste of money.
But we never did all that much much research on Amazon I/O
performance; shortly after doing some basic benchmarking, we decided
that the cloud was a poor fit for our system model, and went looking
at dedicated servers with their own RAID storage right there on the
bus.

ChrisA