honking great ideas

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Mar 26 22:25:51 EDT 2013

In article
<CAOFf2a1ot_659exV5pvdFq87AamkjzsgH1LBM=zx-W1HsaC5KQ at mail.gmail.com>,
 Sean Felipe Wolfe <ether.joe at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I have been re-reading some of the python intro stuffs after a time
> away philandering with other languages. I have been thinking about the
> Zen of Python piece where it says 'namespaces are a honking great idea
> - let's do more of those'.
>
> A question -- since then do we have any sort of list of major
> innovations like that? Do we keep any sort of 'honking great idea
> list' anywhere? Or maybe folks could suggest what some of those
> milestones have been over time?

One suggestion: take a look at Raymond Hettinger's keynote address from
the recent PyCon.  Any of Raymond's talks are worth viewing but this one
in particular is a higher-level sales pitch for Python:  "Show the
specific features that make Python more than just another scripting
language."

http://pyvideo.org/video/1669/keynote-3

--
 Ned Deily,