flaming vs accuracy [was Re: Performance of int/long in Python 3]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Mar 28 19:12:07 EDT 2013

On 3/28/2013 4:26 PM, jmfauth wrote:

Please provide references for your assertions. I have read the unicode
standard, parts more than once, and your assertions contradict my memory.

> Unicode does not stipulate, one has to cover the whole range.

I believe it does. As I remember, the recognized encodings all encode
the entire unicode codepoint range

> Unicode expects that every character in a range behaves the same
> way.

I have no idea what you mean by 'same way'. Each codepoint is supposed
to behave differently in some way. That is the reason for having
multiple codepoints. One causes an 'a' to appear, another a 'b'. Indeed,
the standard define multiple categories of codepoints and chars in
different categories are supposed to act differently (or be treated
differently). Glyphic chars versus control chars are one example.

--
Terry Jan Reedy