flaming vs accuracy [was Re: Performance of int/long in Python 3]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 11:21:03 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:14 AM, jmfauth <wxjmfauth at gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as you are attempting to devide a set of characters in
> chunks and try to handle them seperately, it will never work.

Okay. Let's look at integers. To properly represent the Python 3 'int'
type (or the Python 2 'long'), we need to be able to encode ANY
integer. And of course, any attempt to divide them up into chunks will
never work. So we need a single representation that will cover ANY
integer, right?

Perfect. We already have one of those, detailed in RFC 2795. (It's
coming up to its thirteenth anniversary in a day or two. Very
appropriate.)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2795#section-4

Are you saying Python's integers should be stored as I-TAGs?

ChrisA