flaming vs accuracy [was Re: Performance of int/long in Python 3]

jmfauth wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 10:12:10 EDT 2013

On 28 mar, 14:01, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 23:11:55 +1100, Neil Hodgson wrote:
> > Ian Foote:
>

> > One benefit of
> > UTF-8 over Python's flexible representation is that it is, on average,
> > more compact over a wide set of samples.
>
> Sure. And over a different set of samples, it is less compact. If you
> write a lot of Latin-1, Python will use one byte per character, while
> UTF-8 will use two bytes per character.

This flexible string representation is so absurd that not only
"it" does not know you can not write Western European Languages
with latin-1, "it" penalizes you by just attempting to optimize
latin-1. Shown in my multiple examples.

(This is a similar case of the long and short int question/dicussion
Chris Angelico opened).

PS1: I received plenty of private mails. I'm suprise, how the dev
do not understand unicode.

PS2: Question I received once from a registrated French Python
Developper (in another context). What are those French characters
you can handle with cp1252 and not with latin-1?

jmf