Performance of int/long in Python 3

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Mar 26 21:31:50 EDT 2013

In article <kitdqr$4m4$2 at ger.gmane.org>,
 Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/03/2013 00:00, Ned Deily wrote:
[...]
> > I repeat the friendly reminder I posted a few weeks ago and I'll be a
> > little less oblique: please avoid gratuitous personal attacks here.  It
> > reflects badly on the group and especially on those people making them.
> > We can disagree strongly about technical opinions without resorting to
> > such.
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:13:16 -0700, I posted:
> >> A friendly reminder that this forum is for general discussion and
> >> questions about Python.
> >>
> >> "Pretty much anything Python-related is fair game for discussion, and
> >> the group is even fairly tolerant of off-topic digressions; there have
> >> been entertaining discussions of topics such as floating point, good
> >> software design, and other programming languages such as Lisp and Forth."
> >>
> >> But ...
> >>
> >> "Rudeness and personal attacks, even in reaction to blatant flamebait,
> >> are strongly frowned upon. People may strongly disagree on an issue, but
> >> usually discussion remains civil. In case of an actual flamebait
> >> posting, you can ignore it, quietly plonk the offending poster in your
> >> killfile or mail filters, or write a sharp but still-polite response,
> >> but at all costs resist the urge to flame back."
> >>
> >> http://www.python.org/community/lists/
> >>
> >> It's up to all of us to help keep this group/list a place where people
> >> enjoy participating, without fear of gratuitous personal sniping.
> >> Thanks!
> I suggest you spend more time telling the troll that he's a troll and
> less time moaning at me.

I suggest you re-read the group charter.  He may be saying things that
most of us disagree with but he does it without personal attacks.  He's
made his position clear and it doesn't seem likely to change.  Ignoring,
plonking, or polite responses are all fine responses.  Flaming is not.
That's not the kind of group most of us want to see.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org