How to define "exec" method on a class object? Get syntax error due to built in command

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:39:24 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Kyle <stalkernew at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2:43 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Kyle <stalker... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like we currently use 2.3.4.
>>
>> > This still wouldn't solve the problem because now the user would need to call something like  getattr(wbt, "exec")(<args>) instead of wbt.exec(<args>) like all the other commands.
>>
>> > I think the easiest thing for me to do would be to just change the command name from exec to something else.
>>
>> ..... that's pretty ancient. Any chance you can upgrade at least to 2.7.3?
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> Unfortunately, while I could update my machine, there's no guarantee
> others would have the same version--the 2.3.4 seems to be the default
> on our machines and in the automount dirs.

I strongly recommend upgrading. 2.3.4 dates back to 2004, that's
roughly a decade of bug fixes and feature enhancements behind the
times. 2.7.3 is the latest 2.x release, and most likely your code will
run unchanged on it; if you can switch to 3.3.0 (the latest 3.x
release), that would actually fix your exec problem, for what that's
worth. (Moving to 3.3.0 would be a much bigger change, though, and one
that's likely to require code edits.)

It's a good thing Python has neither the number nor breadth of
security vulnerabilities as Windows; you're using something nearly as
old as an unpatched Windows XP, no service packs, no Windows Update,
nothing... no sane systems administrator would let you put that on the
internet. It may not be suicidal like that, but it's still ten years'
worth of updates you're missing out on!

ChrisA