LiClipse

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 13:27:28 EDT 2013

On Mar 23, 4:11 pm, Fabio Zadrozny <fabi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ie Eclipse-4 claims to have made plugin development (for new custom
> > languages) easier.
> > What is the relation of liclipse to eclipse 3<->4 plugin architecture?
>
> Well, it may have become a bit easier (with dltk and xtext), but it's still
> far from trivial (you still have to know at least java, how plugins work,
> eclipse internals, creating a grammar, etc.).

I still have one (quite general) question:
When eclipse 'does' pydev, is it mostly in java or in python?

Using python's native parser etc makes the analysis more reliable at
the cost of more fragile, non-portable(?) etc plumbing between java
and python.

Whereas rewriting python's parsing etc in java, makes the basic
architecture easier but will always keep you behind target when say
python changes/adds to its syntax/feature set etc.

Which do you choose? And are the new facilities in Juno easier for
cross-language feature-sets?