Global NameError Fix?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu Mar 21 20:24:17 EDT 2013

On 03/21/2013 07:43 PM, maiden129 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the version 3.2.3 of Python and I am having an issue in my program and I don't know how to fix it:
>
> counterLabel["text"] = str(counter)
> NameError: global name 'counterLabel' is not defined

Please include the entire traceback when reporting an exception.  In
this case, we can figure it out, but frequently we can't.

> Here is my program:
>
> from tkinter import *
>

> class CounterButton(Button):
>
>      def __init__(self, window):
>

>         super(CounterButton,self).__init__(window, text = "0", command=self.startCounter)
>

>      def startCounter(self):
>          counter = int(self["text"])
>          counter +=1
>          counterLabel["text"] = str(counter)

Where did you think counterLabel was defined?  It needs to be a dict or
equivalent, in order for you to use the ["text"] notation on it.  If
it's supposed to be an attribute of the CounterButton, then you should
create it in the __init__() method, as

         self.counterLabel = {}

And if it's supposed to be inherited from Button (unlikely, with that
name), presumably it's initialized there.

In either case, if it's supposed to be specific to this instance of
CounterButton, you need the self. prefix:

             self.counterLabel["text"] = ...

I don't use tkinter, and it's not installed in my Python, but I suspect
that it is in the Button object, and it's called something else, like text.

Based on a quick internet search, I might try something like:

         self.config(text= str(counter))

This is assuming you actually wanted to change the text on the button
itself.  You may well want to change something else in your GUI.

--
DaveA