problem with function

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu Mar 21 15:48:23 EDT 2013

On 03/21/2013 02:31 PM, leonardo selmi wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i wrote the following code:
>
> def find(word, letter):
>      index = 0
>      while index < len(word):
>          if word[index] == letter:
>              return index
>          index = index + 1
>      return -1
>
> if i run the program i get this error: name 'word' is not defined.  how can i solve it?

If I run it, I get nothing at all, since there's no call to find()).
And when I add lines that print the results of calling the function, I
get reasonable results.

How about if you do the following:

1) tell us Python version and OS.
2) show us the whole code, copy/pasted into your message
3) show us the whole error message (traceback), copy/pasted into your
message

And if you're running it from somewhere other than a terminal window,
tell us how you're running it.  Or better, run it from a terminal, and
show us the whole sequence, by copy/pasting from the terminal to the
message.

--
DaveA