tkinter: invisible PanedWindow "sashes" on OS X

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Thu Mar 21 14:42:27 EDT 2013

Am 21.03.13 15:37, schrieb Arnaud Delobelle:
> Hi Python List,
>
> I'm trying to use PanedWindow on OS X (10.8.3).  I've started with the
> effbot docs example (http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/panedwindow.htm),
> namely:
>
> ----------
> from Tkinter import *
>
> m = PanedWindow(orient=VERTICAL)
> m.pack(fill=BOTH, expand=1)
>
> top = Label(m, text="top pane")
> m.add(top)
>
> bottom = Label(m, text="bottom pane")
> m.add(bottom)
>
> mainloop()
> ----------
>
> I can see two panes alright, but no handle to resize them (or 'sash'
> as they seem to be called in tkinter).  Is there something else that I
> should be doing?

This is, unfortunately, the platform standard on both OSX and Windows7.
You can still resize the windows: Just grab the space between the two
labels. There should be at least a cursor change.

With you example it doesn't work particularly well, because the labels
are small and have no visible border. Try using e.g. a text widget
instead (or maybe relief=SUNKEN)

	Christian