"monty" < "python"

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 23 12:17:51 EDT 2013

On 23/03/2013 09:24, jmfauth wrote:
> On 20 mar, 22:02, Tim Delaney <tim.dela... at aptare.com> wrote:
>> On 21 March 2013 06:40, jmfauth <wxjmfa... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ----
>>> [snip usual rant from jmf]
>>

>> It has been acknowledged as a real regression, but he keeps hijacking every
>> thread where strings are mentioned to harp on about it. He has shown no
>> inclination to attempt to *fix* the regression and is rapidly coming to be
>> regarded as a troll by most participants in this list.
>>

> ---------
>
> I can not help to fix it, because it is "unfixable". It
> is "unfixable", because this flexible string representation
> is wrong by design.
>
> jmf

Of course it's fixable.  All you need do is write a PEP clearing stating
what is wrong with the implementation detailed in PEP393 and your own
proposed design.  I'm looking forward to reading this PEP.

Note that going backwards to buggier unicode implementations that
existed in Python prior to version 3.3 is simply not an option.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence