Vowels [was Re: "monty" < "python"]

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Mar 21 13:31:32 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-21, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> By the way, the "n" in "an" is not the only such "bridging" sound. In
> Shakespearean times, it was usual to use "mine" in the same fashion:

In many (most?) modern, non-rhotic, dialects of English one inserts an
"intrusive" bridging "R" sound after a word that ends in certain vowel
sounds and is followed by a word starting with a vowel.

That description is a bit hard to "picture", but if you read the
examples in the link below, you'll recogize it immediately:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linking_and_intrusive_R#Linking_R

However, this only affects spoken English -- not written English.

Is the Python language rhotic or non-rhotic?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Hello, GORRY-O!!
                                  at               I'm a GENIUS from HARVARD!!