Help. HOW TO guide for PyQt installation

jmfauth wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 03:10:24 EDT 2013

On 20 mar, 11:38, Phil Thompson <p... at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 03:29:35 -0700 (PDT), jmfauth <wxjmfa... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On 20 mar, 10:30, Phil Thompson <p... at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:

> the
> >> them
> on
> >> the
> and
> >> the
> going
> >> diference
> so

> on
> >> Maybe

> >> Well it works for me. Care to elaborate?
>
> >> Phil
>
> > No problem.
>
> > Yesterday, I downloaded "PyQt4-4.10-gpl-Py3.3-Qt5.0.1-x32-2.exe"
> > and installed it on my Windows 7 Pro box after having removed
> > a previous version.
>
> > No problem with the installation.
>
> > I quickly tested it with one of my interactive Python interpreters
> > and got an error "from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore" saying, that the
> > DLL cannot be found.
>
> > Something similar to what Detlev Offenbach reported on
> > the PyQt mailing list. Although, I'm not using Qsci.
>
> > Strangely, I had not problem (if I recall correctly) with a
> > very basic application (QMainWindow + QLineEdit).
>
> > I had no problem with the demo (I only lauched it).
>
> > I did not spend to much time in investigating further.
>
> > It's the first time I see such an error; usually, no problem.
>
> The only time that I've seen a problem like that is when running from a
> shell that was started before running the PyQt installer (ie. one with an
> out of date PATH).
>
> Phil

------

The PATH could be the cause. I stupidly forgot to check it
before removing PyQt...

I repeated the experiment (app == eta26.py). With and
without "PyQt" in the system PATH. (Btw, why is it
necessary?)

D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta26>c:\python32\python eta26.py
PyQt: 4.8.6, Qt: 4.7.4 Python 3.2.3

No problem.

D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta26>c:\python33\python eta26.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "eta26.py", line 32, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore
ImportError: DLL load failed: Le module spécifié est introuvable.
(Translation: The specified module can no be found.)

D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta26>c:\python33\python eta26.py
PyQt: 4.10, Qt: 4.8.4 Python 3.3.0

No problem.

No idea. It is mysterious for me. eta26 is only
importing QtGui and QtCore. It however uses a sophisticated
widget like QPlainTextEdit.

jmf