Help. HOW TO guide for PyQt installation

jmfauth wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 06:29:35 EDT 2013

On 20 mar, 10:30, Phil Thompson <p... at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 02:09:06 -0700 (PDT), jmfauth <wxjmfa... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On 20 mar, 01:12, "D. Xenakis" <gouzouna... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >> Im searching for an installation guide for PyQt toolkit.
> >> To be honest im very confused about what steps should i follow for a
> >> complete and clean installation. Should i better choose to install the
> >> 32bit or the 64bit windows version? Or maybe both? Any chance one of
> them
> >> is more/less bug-crashy than the other? I know both are availiable on
> the
> >> website but just asking.. If i installed this package on windows 8,
> >> should i have any problems? From what i read PyQt supports only xp and
> >> win7.
> >> I was thinking about installing the newer version of PyQt along with
> the
> >> QT5. I have zero expirience on PyQt so either way, everything is going
> >> be new to me, so i dont care that much about the learning curve
> diference
> >> between new and old PyQt - Qt version. I did not find any installer so
> >> guess i should customly do everything. Any guide for this plz?
>
> >> Id also like to ask.. Commercial licence of PyQt can only be bought on
> >> riverbank's website? I think i noticed somewhere an other reseller
> >> "cheaper one" or maybe i didnt know what the hell i was reading :).
> Maybe
> >> something about Qt and not PyQt.
>
> >> Please help this noob,
> >> Regards
>
> > --------
>
> > Short answer without explanation. It does not work.
>
> > jmf
>
> Well it works for me. Care to elaborate?
>
> Phil

No problem.

Yesterday, I downloaded "PyQt4-4.10-gpl-Py3.3-Qt5.0.1-x32-2.exe"
and installed it on my Windows 7 Pro box after having removed
a previous version.

No problem with the installation.

I quickly tested it with one of my interactive Python interpreters
and got an error "from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore" saying, that the
DLL cannot be found.

Something similar to what Detlev Offenbach reported on
the PyQt mailing list. Although, I'm not using Qsci.

Strangely, I had not problem (if I recall correctly) with a
very basic application (QMainWindow + QLineEdit).

I had no problem with the demo (I only lauched it).

I did not spend to much time in investigating further.

It's the first time I see such an error; usually, no problem.

jmf