[Python 3.3.0] Getting tkinter to work on Python 3

Yves S. Garret yoursurrogategod at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:29:59 EDT 2013

I have.  This is what I did and the result that I'm seeing.

$ sudo apt-get install python3-tk
[sudo] password for ysg:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python3-tk is already the newest version.
python3-tk set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
$ python3
Python 3.3.0 (default, Mar 11 2013, 15:04:13)
[GCC 4.5.2] on linux
>>> import tkinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/tkinter/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named '_tkinter'

:-/