Excel column 256 limit

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 18 11:50:21 EDT 2013

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 08:28:46 -0700, Ana Dionísio wrote:

> Is there some way to go around this limit? I need to import data from
> python to excel and I need 1440 columns for that.

That's an Excel question, it has nothing to do with Python.

Have you considered using something other than Excel? As I understand it,
OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and Gnumeric do not have a 256 column limit.
Gnumeric is Linux-only, but the other two are available for Windows and
Mac, and they are all free, open source software, and they all will read
and write Excel spreadsheets.

http://openoffice.org/
http://www.libreoffice.org/
http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/index.shtml