Top 10 python features

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 10:21:45 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> Albert Vonpupp wrote:
>
>> I would like to know what are the top 10 most important features (on your
>> opinion) in python.
>
> Amongst our weapons are
>
> - Generators
> - Duck-Typing
> - The Interactive Interpreter
>
> and an almost fanatical devotion to the Zen.
>
> Wait, I forgot dictionaries; it's dictionaries all the way down...

That's five. Here's five more:

* No variable declarations - keep your code simple
* An *extensive* standard library
* comp.lang.python / python-list, Python help 24/7!
* Active development and constant improvements
* Strong OS/platform support (many Linuxes have at least some version
of Python either already installed or in the standard repository;
Windows and Mac OS have ready-to-go binaries available on python.org;
there are Pythons for various mobile platforms; even relative
obscurities like OS/2 have their ports)

Hmm. Side point regarding OS/2: I notice that
http://www.python.org/getit/other/ points to a port of 2.4.4, but Paul
Smedley has a port of 2.7.2:
http://smedley.id.au/os2ports_new/index.php?page=python - what's the
appropriate way to get that mentioned?