How to automatically get the indent level from code?

Mark Shroyer mshroyer at awaredigital.com
Sun Mar 17 02:23:31 EDT 2013

I realize this isn't yet precisely what you're asking for, but look at the inspect and ast modules:

    import ast, inspect

    def indent_level():
        lineno = inspect.currentframe().f_back.f_lineno

        with open(__file__) as source_file:
            tree = ast.parse(source_file.read(), filename=__file__)

        for node in ast.walk(tree):
            if hasattr(node, 'lineno') and node.lineno == lineno:
                return node.col_offset

    def example_usage():
        print("first indent_level() = {0}".format(indent_level()))
        if True:
            print("second indent_level() = {0}".format(indent_level()))

    if __name__ == '__main__':
        example_usage()

The indent_level function above returns the textual column offset rather than the logical block level you're asking for, e.g.:

    first indent_level() = 4
    second indent_level() = 8

But hopefully it's a start.

Mark