Unicode

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Fri Mar 15 06:46:36 EDT 2013

I thought I understand unicode (somewhat, at least), but this seems
not to be the case.

I expected the following code to print 'µm' two times to the console:

<code>
# -*- coding: cp850 -*-

a = u"µm"
b = u"\u03bcm"

print(a)
print(b)
</code>

But what I get is this:

<output>
µm
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "x.py", line 7, in <module>
     print(b)
   File "C:\Python33-64\lib\encodings\cp850.py", line 19, in encode
     return codecs.charmap_encode(input,self.errors,encoding_map)[0]
UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character '\u03bc' in
position 0: character maps to <undefined>
</output>

Using (german) windows, command prompt, codepage 850.

The same happens with Python 2.7.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Thomas