Generating Filenames from Feeds

Chuck galois271 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 11:38:11 EDT 2013

HI all,

I am trying to write a podcast catcher for fun, and I am trying to come up with a way to generate a destination filename to use in the function urlretrieve(url, destination).  I  would like the destination filename to end in a .mp3 extension.

My first attempts were parsing out the <pubdate> and stripping the whitespace characters, and joining with os.path.join.  I haven't been able to make that work for some reason.  Whenever I put the .mp3 in the os.path.join I get syntax errors.  I am wondering if there is a better way?

I was doing something like os.path.join('C:\\Users\\Me\\Music\\Podcasts\\', pubdate.mp3), where pubdate has been parsed and stripped of whitespace.  I keep getting an error around the .mp3.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Chuck