What's the easiest Python datagrid GUI (preferably with easy database hooks as well)?

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Thu Mar 14 09:24:00 EDT 2013

> I want to write a fairly trivial database driven application, it will
> basically present a few columns from a database, allow the user to add
> and/or edit rows, recalculate the values in one column and write the
> data back to the database.
>
> I want to show the data and allow editing of the data in a datagrid as
> being able to see adjacent/previous data will help a huge amount when
> entering data.
>
> So what toolkits are there out there for doing this sort of thing?  A
> GUI toolkit would be lovely (allowing layout etc.) but isn't
> absolutely necessary.
>
> I'm a reasonably experienced programmer and know python quite well
> but I'm fairly much a beginner with event driven GUI stuff so I need
> a user friendly framework.

This is becoming an FAQ.

The currently available (non-web) database application development
frameworks for Python are:

using wxPython:
Dabo	http://www.dabodev.com
Defis	http://sourceforge.net/projects/defis/ (Russian only)
GNUe	http://www.gnuenterprise.org/

using PyQt:
Pypapi		https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyPaPi
Camelot		http://www.python-camelot.com/
Qtalchemy	http://www.qtalchemy.org/
Thyme		http://clocksoft.co.uk/downloads/
Kexi		http://www.kexi-project.org/

using PyGTK:
SQLkit	http://sqlkit.argolinux.org/
Kiwi	http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/
Glom	http://www.glom.org

Openoffice Base
http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html
Libreoffice Base
http://www.libreoffice.org/features/base/

OpenERP	http://www.openerp.org
Tryton	http://www.tryton.org

Dabo (they're about to release 1.0 for Pycon), Pypapi, Camelot, SQLkit
seem to be the most actively developed and best documented ones.

OpenERP and Tryton are ERP systems that can also be used as
frameworks for non-ERP custom applications.

Apparently defunct:

Pythoncard	http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/
Boa Constructor	http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/
Knoda		http://www.knoda.org/