IOError:[Errno 27] File too large

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Mar 13 22:46:16 EDT 2013

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:35:19 -0700, ch.valderanis wrote:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "createsubmitfiles.py", line 12, in <module>
>     newfile=open(newname,'w')
> IOError: [Errno 27] File too large: 'FILENAME.sub;'
>
> I have changed the actual filename reported by the traceback.
> FILENAME.xml does exist before the code is run FILENAME.sub is not
> created
> FILENAME has a length of 160 characters I do have space to write all the
> files in the directory

You are not trying to create a file called "FILENAME.sub". You are trying
to create a file called "FILENAME.sub;", notice the semi-colon.

Taking a wild guess, I think that you are using a Samba share on a Linux
server. A file "FILENAME.xml;" was accidentally creating on this share
from the Linux filesystem layer, since Linux will allow you to use
semicolons in file names. But samba enforces the same restrictions as
Windows, so when you access the file system through sambda, it gives an
error when you try to create a new file "FILENAME.sub;".

This is a wild guess, and could be completely wrong. Please come back and
tell us the solution when you have solved it.

Good luck!

--
Steven