A string and an integer to appear in tuple (python 2.7)

Vlastimil Brom vlastimil.brom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 21:06:59 EDT 2013

2013/3/13 Jiewei Huang <jiewei24 at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently stuck at this question on
>
> Writing a function len_str that takes a string as an argument and returns a pair consisting of the length of the string and the string itself.
>
> Example: len_str('Meaning of life') should return the tuple (15, 'Meaning of life').
>

> I can only think of this :
>
> len_str = ('welcome to life' )
>
> print (len(len_str,), len_str)
>

> However that not an correct answer I need to make a def len_str but I can't seen to get it right.
> --

Hi,
unless you are required to code the length-counting by hand as a part
of the exercise, you would simply use the built-in function for that,
i.e.
http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/functions.html#len

Tuples are created using the coma delimiter; optionally with enclosing parens.
http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/stdtypes.html#tuples

>>> input_string = "Meaning of life"
>>> input_string
'Meaning of life'
>>> len(input_string)
15
>>> (len(input_string), input_string)
(15, 'Meaning of life')

Now you have to put the needed code to the function body; see
http://docs.python.org/3.3/tutorial/controlflow.html#defining-functions

(Be sure not to forget the "return" statement containing the result of
your function.)

hth,
   vbr