del not working for (exhausted) dict iterable value (Python 3.3)

Thomas Rachel nutznetz-0c1b6768-bfa9-48d5-a470-7603bd3aa915 at spamschutz.glglgl.de
Wed Mar 13 00:02:42 EDT 2013

Am 12.03.2013 06:52 schrieb alex23:

> You're effectively doing this:

> ...     del event['Items']
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
> KeyError: 'Items'
>
> You want to move your del statement up an indentation level so it
> happens after the iterator is actually exhausted, and not after the
> first iteration.

Just to be clear: Exhausting the iterator is not the problem, as I
thought as well at the first glance.

The problem is the fact that the loop body tuns multiple times - and so
does the del statement. A

event = dict(Items=[1,2,3])
for e in event['Items']:
     if 'Items' in event: del event['Items']

runs perfectly, as the iterable is transformed to an iterator at the
very start of the loop.

Thomas