Reversing bits in a byte

Robert Flintham Robert.Flintham at uhb.nhs.uk
Tue Mar 12 09:28:28 EDT 2013

Sorry, the subject line was for a related question that I decided not to ask, I forgot to change it when I changed my email.  I've changed it now!

I'm using Python 3.3 on Windows with the pydicom module (http://code.google.com/p/pydicom/).  Using pydicom, I've ended up with a "bytes" object of length (512*512/8 = 32768) containing a 512x512 1-bit bitmap (i.e. each byte represents 8 pixels of either 1 or 0).  When I print this to screen I get:
'b\x00\x00\x00.....'

I can unpack this to a tuple of the integer representations of binary data, but that doesn't really help as presume I need the binary (8 digit) representation to be able to translate that into an image.

I wasn't sure which GUI library to use, so haven't specified one.  As it's Python 3, Tkinter is available.  I also have matplotlib and numpy installed, and PIL.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to access the pixel data in the form of a numpy array so that I can perform image-processing tasks on the data.

So now that I've explained myself slightly more fully, does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?

All the best,
Rob

Robert Flintham
Trainee Clinical Scientist - MRI

Tel:      +44 (0)121 371 7000
Email:       Robert.Flintham at uhb.nhs.uk
Web:      http://www.uhb.nhs.uk

We're bringing the world's most advanced cancer treatments to Birmingham.
Find out more at www.qecancerappeal.org or text QEHB01 £5 to 70070 to donate £5 to our appeal.

RRPPS
Medical Physics - University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
63 Melchett Road, Kings Norton,
Birmingham, B30 3HP

ð Delivering the best in care