working with dict : incrementing dict dynamically

inshu chauhan insideshoes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 11:23:05 EDT 2013

I am trying to create a dictionary with a key and its values seraching from
a data set. But something is going wrong. This is the first time I am
working with dicts.

My code is :

import cv
def Computesegclass(segimage):
    num_pixel = 0
        for y in xrange(0, segimage.height):
        for x in xrange(0, segimage.width):

            if segimage[y,x] == (0.0, 0.0, 0.0):
                continue
            else:
                color = segimage[y,x]
                blue = color[0]
                green = color[1]
                red = color[2]
                region_num = blue + 256 * green + 65536 * red
                print region_num
                segments = dict({region_num : num_pixel})
                if region_num == region_num:
                    num_pixel = +1
                print segments

if __name__== "__main__":
    segimage =
cv.LoadImageM("Z:/Segmentation/segmentation_numbers_00000.tif",
cv.CV_LOAD_IMAGE_UNCHANGED)
    print segimage
    Computesegclass(segimage)

here I am traversing through an image which is 3000 x 3000. for each pixel
I calculate a region number. What I am trying to do is increase the
num_pixel by 1 if that pixel falls in the same region which is identified
by region_num. How can I do it in dict created ?

Thanx in Advance